Big Bite Bacon Fest at the Queen Mary is a celebration of everything pig. Chefs and restaurants come together and cook up crazy dishes with bacon-spiration. This year, Isaiah Rosario, a 16 year old entrepreneur, will be leading the pack with his bacon stuffed deep fried Twinkie coming out of the FryFry Truck! We got a chance to chat with the young buck about his adventures. Here is what he said:
1. Where were you born/raised? A lot of influence on a chef's art comes from their roots.
I was born in Burbank, and raised in Granada Hills.
2. What was your major influence when coming into this industry?
I really liked the culture and being surrounded by food. I’ve always had a passion for it. I was raised cooking beside my grandparents, which initially started my love for food.
3. Are you still in high school? Do you have plans for furthering your education in this field?
Yes, I’m going to be starting my senior year of high school soon. I’m hoping to continue my education and get a scholarship and bachelor’s degree at The Culinary Institute of America in New York.
4. What was your apex, or should we call it, your crowning achievement so far?
Being able to remain open longer than a year. Most food trucks come and go, not even lasting one year. I like that my food truck is able to stand up against all of these big corporations and franchises. I have many returning customers which also makes me proud.
5. Have you had any lows? If so, how have you gotten through those tough times?
I just keep going. Persistence and determination are important. You have to push through the tough days. Some days we may only make around $20, which can be disappointing, but we have to get up the next day and do it all over again. I push through the tough times because I want to make my parents proud, and show them that all they did for me was not a waste of time.
6. What got you started with the FryFry Truck?
Well really, I just really wanted the truck at first. I would look up cheap trucks online and show them to my parents until they finally said “okay, let’s just buy one.” It all just blew up from there.
7. Tell us about the FryFry Truck, what type of food do you serve?
We make gourmet, fried, American food. Things like burgers, carne asada fries, and chicken wings. We also serve deep fried dessert, which is really popular. Things like, deep fried Oreos, deep fried Twinkies, and a deep fried Nutella sandwich, which is by far our best seller.
8. Where do you see this food truck endeavor going?
I definitely see it growing. First, I would like to expand by acquiring a couple more food trucks. Then, I want to expand further and have multiple restaurants.
9. Do you think the trend of food trucks will continue on?
Oh yeah. People love them because it’s something different every day and it’s more convenient for them.
10. What are you bringing to the table at BBBF?
I’m bringing a bacon stuffed Twinkie and bacon cheddar fries.
11. Being a 16-year-old chef and entrepreneur can be very time consuming. However, in your spare time, what do you like to do?
I like hanging out with my friends. We either go bowling or just hang at the house. It’s hard to see my friends sometimes because I don’t have that much free time. But, when we do get together it’s always a good time.
12. Where do you see yourself 5 years from now? ...10 years from now?
In 5 years I see myself owning a couple local restaurants. In 10 years I hope that I can have restaurants all across the country!